Perry’s Prolific Siblings at Como Posted on February 9th, 2008 by

I and two of my students took a pair of Perry’s siblings to the Como Conservatory in St. Paul in the summer of 2004, where they have been growing strongly and in addition proliferating. Margaret Yeakel-Twum and her colleagues recently re-potted the larger of the two plants, and I wrote about that on this blog on December 20. Click here for the December 20 post and associated photos.

In summary, the larger plant had divided its corm into two, one a 25-pounder, the other weighing in at 13 pounds. Such spontaneous division of corms is something that has been observed a number of times since Amorphophallus titanum was introduced into more widespread cultivation through James Symon’s collection of seeds. For an earlier blog entry that I wrote on cultivation of Amorphophallus titanum (also applicable to other giant aroids), click here.

Margaret provided me with several photos of the Como re-potting event from October 2007. I’ll paste in a few photos below, of washing and weighing the corms, marveling at the corms, and the 25-pounder resting in its new 46″ pot. I’ve also uploaded these and a large number of further photos to Flickr – click here to see the photos.

Click here to view Perry via webcam.

amorphophallus-oct-2007-045-cr.jpgamorphophallus-oct-2007-049-cr.jpgamorphophallus-oct-2007-056-cr.jpgamorphophallus-oct-2007-053-cr.jpgamorphophallus-oct-2007-058.jpgamorphophallus-oct-2007-054-cr.jpg

1. […] Perry’s Prolific Siblings at Como: February 9, 2008 […]