Pharaoh Perry Posted on June 1st, 2007 by

Perry is in the process of auto-mummification, and she/he looks like a Pharaoh from one side. He/she looks like an elephant in the process of mummification from the other side (work with me here on the imagination, ok? I’m doing what I can with regard to impressions, and Perry’s presence, in the Perry Room, is still intense). Then, of course, there’s the standard Alex/Perry impression. (Alex will be doing research in chemistry with me this summer, so the sequence of photos will continue).

The inflorescence is nearing its end. The green color is fading from the stalk, and the stalk feels hollow, like wilted celery (it was stiff and strong earlier).

Dehiscence is imminent, and rebirth, through a new leaf, is immanent.

Stay tuned for the new life of Perry.

Click on the thumbnails for larger images. In addition two of the webcams are still active at this point.

alexsticktitanum053107-cr-200.jpgperry_as_elephant_200.jpgperry_as_pharoah_200.jpg

1. Dave says:

For some reason I look at this webcam every day.

2. Brian says:

Thanks for the comment, Dave. The images have been transfixing for numerous people, and I’m glad to hear that they still have that effect. We can hope for a leaf soon (though it also might be a long time).

I’m hoping to have some images of Amorphophallus paeoniifolius soon. It’s not as large as titanum, but is in many ways more peculiar-looking.

3. Dave says:

I think because of this flower I might want to pursue botany in college next year. Any advice?

4. Brian says:

Dave,

It’s great to hear that you might want to go into botany. I’m sure that our botanist, Prof. Cindy Johnson-Groh, will be happy to discuss the possibilities with you (she can give you much more detailed information than I). Her e-mail address is cjgroh@gustavus.edu, and her telephone numbers are (507)933-7043 (office) and (507)933-7199 (arboretum).