Measurement of the Growth of the Corpse Flower

Posted on April 29th, 2007 by

alexsticktitanum-042407-cr.jpgalexsticktitanum042607-m.jpgalexsticktitanum-42807-m.jpgalexsticktitanum042907m.jpgAlex and I have been making a series of measuremens of the height of the inflorescence; four of our data points (April 29, 28, 26, and 24, 2007) are represented here. Stay tuned for further developments.

Click on the thmbnail images for larger versions.

See the Titan Arum webcam for a live look at the plant. The image is renewed at five-minute intervals.

1. Emily Pelton says:

This may be a strange inquiry, but how tall is the Gustavus model in the photos? It would help to know his height so that one would be able to determine the possible height of the plant.

2. Kelsey Becker says:

Good point there Em!

3. Lois Warren says:

We at South Elementary are very interested in the progress of this wacko flower!! When is it suppose to open up!?! We would LOVE to see it open! You guys are so lucky to have such a treasure in your midst!!

4. Brian says:

Hey Emily – you, of all people, should know how tall the model is :=).
    There is…erm…a METER STICK in the photos… ;=)

Your Friendly and Helpful Moderator,
    Brian

5. Brian says:

Lois,
    Thanks for your comments and interest. Plans for visitation are in the works. You should check this blog and the Gustavus web page periodically for updates.

6. Larry says:

I would like someone to PROVE that the Alex figure is not a statue of a troll holding a six-inch ruler on a flower pot on Brian’s desk. Alex’s expression is remarkably (oddly) constant. I suspect the whole thing is a farse, and await the malevolent perfume of this tiny desktop plant.

7. My Daughters Madeline (9) Abby (6) are wondering how big was the seed when it was planted in 1993? (When I was there at GAC!)

This is a cool way to share science and my former college with the girls.

Tracey Loberg-Westendorp Class of 95

8. Brian says:

Tracey,
    The seed was about the size of a small date. Thanks for your commentary – I’ll be commenting on the reaction of children to the plant in a later blog post.

9. Jennifer says:

This is very neat!!! I sure hope you post more pictures and measurements. And describe the smell!

You grew this from seed?! What a great project!!